See the Big Picture with Ways of the World
With a brief narrative that is thematic, comparative, and truly global, Ways of the World isn’t just a history textbook, it’s a window into what it means to be a historian. Now with AP® Skills Workshops to introduce key skills, and AP® skills questions and exam practice to hone them, this edition is the ultimate tool for AP® World History.
Table of Contents
How to Get the Most from This Program
Prologue: From Cosmic History to Human History
PART ONE First Things First: Beginnings in History, to 600 b.c.e.
1. First Peoples; First Farmers: Most of History in a Single Chapter, to 3500 b.c.e.
2. First Civilizations: Cities, States, and Unequal Societies, 3500 b.c.e.–600 b.c.e.
PART TWO Continuity and Change in the Second-Wave Era, 600 b.c.e.–600 c.e.
3. State and Empire in Eurasia/North Africa, 600 b.c.e.–600 c.e.
4. Culture and Religion in Eurasia/North Africa, 600 b.c.e.–600 c.e.
5. Society and Inequality in Eurasia/North Africa, 600 b.c.e.–600 c.e.
6. Commonalities and Variations: Africa, the Americas, and Pacific Oceania, 600 b.c.e.–1200 c.e.
PART THREE Civilizations and Encounters during the Third-Wave Era, 600–1450
7. Commerce and Culture, 600–1450
8. China and the World: East Asian Connections, 600–1300
9. The Worlds of Islam: Afro-Eurasian Connections, 600–1450
10. The Worlds of Christendom: Contraction, Expansion, and Division, 600–1450
11. Pastoral Peoples on the Global Stage: The Mongol Moment, 1200–1450
12. The Worlds of the Fifteenth Century
PART FOUR The Early Modern World, 1450–1750
13. Political Transformations: Empires and Encounters, 1450–1750
14. Economic Transformations: Commerce and Consequence, 1450–1750
15. Cultural Transformations: Religion and Science, 1450–1750
PART FIVE The European Moment in World History, 1750–1900
16. Atlantic Revolutions, Global Echoes, 1750–1900
17. Revolutions of Industrialization, 1750–1900
18. Colonial Encounters in Asia, Africa, and Oceania, 1750–1950
19. Empires in Collision: Europe, the Middle East, and East Asia, 1800–1900
PART SIX The Most Recent Century, 1900–present
20. Milestones of the Past Century: War and Revolution, 1900–1950
21. Milestones of the Past Century: A Changing Global
22. Global Processes: Technology, Economy, and Society
23. Global Processes: Demography, Culture, and the
Glossary/Glosario of Historical Terms
Glossary/Glosario of Academic Terms