Society and Technological Change
Eighth EditionRudi Volti©2017
Bookmark, search, and highlight our PDF-style eBooks.
Read and study old-school with our bound texts.
Updated, inviting and accessible — the definitive introduction to the study of society and technology.
With an engaging and insightful presentation, Society and Technological Change examines both how technology has influenced our lives and how it is shaped by the societies that create it. The new Eighth Edition features new and updated coverage of topics like Uber, the Gig Economy, income inequality, cyber attacks, and social media and the network effect. Full of real-life examples to boost your comprehension, it also offers thought-provoking discussion questions that will inspire you to further apply the concepts.
Read online (or offline) with all the highlighting and notetaking tools you need to be successful in this course.Learn More
Table of Contents
1. The Nature of Technology
2. Winners and Losers: The Differential Effects of Technological Change
Part Two The Process of Technological Change
3. The Sources of Technological Change
4. Scientific Knowledge and Technological Advance
5. The Diffusion of Technology
Part Three How Technology Affects the Health of the Earth and Its Inhabitants
6. Technology, Energy, and the Environment
7. Medical Technologies
8. Genetic Technologies
Part Four Technology and the Transformation of Work
9. Work in Nonindustrial Societies
10. Technology and Jobs: More of One and Less of the Other?
11. Technological Change and Life on the Job
Part Five Communication
13. The Electronic Media: From the Telegraph to Television
14. The Internet Age
Part Six The Tools of Destruction
15. Weapons and Their Consequences
16. The Era of Smart Weapons*
17. How New Weapons Emerge—And How They May Be Contained
Part Seven The Shaping and Control of Technology
18. Technology and Its Creators: Who’s in Charge of Whom?
19. Organizations and Technological Change
20. Governing Technology