Promo Code SHIPFREE
Real Writing Essentials
First EditionMiriam Moore; Susan Anker©2018
Bookmark, search, and highlight our PDF-style e-books.
Read and study old-school with our bound texts.
Author Miriam Moore believes in helping students learn to trust themselves as readers, writers, and thinkers. Writing Essentials Online: A Macmillan Launchpad provides a space where students can build both confidence and strong academic writing skills that will carry them forward in college and career.
A portable print text, Real Writing Essentials works together with Writing Essentials Online to deliver just the support necessary in order to develop paragraphs and essays. It can be packaged with Writing Essentials Online at a significant discount.
Table of Contents
A Note to Students
Part One: College Thinking, Reading, and Writing
1. Critical Thinking, Reading, and Writing: Making Connections
2. Getting Ready to Write: Form, Process, and Purpose
3. Organizing Your Main Point and Support: Arranging Your Ideas
4. Drafting and Revising Paragraphs and Essays: Putting Your Ideas Together
Part Two: Writing Different Kinds of Paragraphs and Essays
5. Narration: Writing That Tells Important Stories
6. Illustration: Writing That Gives Examples
7. Description: Writing That Creates Pictures with Words
8. Process Analysis: Writing That Explains How Things Happen
9. Classification: Writing That Sorts Things into Groups
10. Definition: Writing That Tells What Something Means
11. Comparison and Contrast: Writing That Shows Similarities and Differences
12. Cause and Effect: Writing That Explains Reasons or Results
13. Argument: Writing That Persuades
Part Three: Grammar, Punctuation, and Mechanics
15. Basic Grammar
16. The Four Most Serious Errors
17. Other Grammar and Style Concerns
18. Punctuation and Capitalization
Useful Editing and Proofreading Marks