A clear, insightful presentation of Organic Chemistry!
An organization that helps students make sense of Organic Chemistry and fosters understanding over memorization. With stimulating illustrations and examples, as well as, a wide range of problems to reinforce chapter concepts. Analogies and biological applications relate organic chemistry to everyday experiences so you can understand and retain what you are learning in Organic chemistry. This is a book to keep well beyond college as a premier reference!
Table of Contents
1. Chemical Bonding and Chemical Structure
3. Acids and Bases. The Curved-Arrow Notation
4. Introduction to Alkenes: Structure and Reactivity
5. Addition Reactions of Alkenes
6. Principles of Stereochemistry
7. Cyclic Compounds: Stereochemistry of Reactions
8. Noncovalent Intermolecular Interactions
9. The Chemistry of Alkyl Halides
10. The Chemistry of Alcohols and Thiols
11. The Chemistry of Ethers, Epoxides, Glycols, and Sulfides
12. Introduction to Spectroscopy: Infrared Spectroscopy and Mass Spectrometry
13. Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy
14. The Chemistry of Alkynes
15. Dienes, Resonance, and Aromaticity
16. The Chemistry of Benzene and its Derivatives
17. Allylic and Benzylic Reactivity
18. The Chemistry of Aryl Halides, Vinylic Halides, and Phenols. Transition-Metal Catalysis.
19. The Chemistry of Aldehydes and Ketones. Carbonyl-Addition Reactions.
20. The Chemistry of Carboxylic Acids
21. The Chemistry of Carboxylic Acid Derivatives
22. The Chemistry of Enolate Ions, Enols, and a,b- Unsaturated Carbonyl Compounds
23. The Chemistry of Amines
25. The Chemistry of Thioesters, Phosphate Esters, and Phosphate Anhydrides
26. The Chemistry of the Aromatic Heterocycles; DNA
27. Amino Acids, Peptides, and Proteins
28. Pericyclic Reactions