Promo Code SHIPFREE
Living Physical Geography
Second EditionBruce Gervais©2019
Read and study old-school with our bound texts.
Table of Contents
The Geographer’s Toolkit
1. This introduction covers the traditional and modern tools and foundational concepts in wide use in geography.
Part I Atmospheric Systems: Weather and Climate
Part I explores how solar energy in the atmosphere creates atmospheric phenomena and organized systems. One chapter is devoted to the topic of climate change.
2. Portrait of the Atmosphere
3. Solar Energy and Seasons
4. Water in the Atmosphere
5. Atmospheric Circulation and Wind Systems
6. The Restless Sky: Severe Weather and Storm Systems
7. The Changing Climate
Part II The Biosphere and the Geography of Life
Part II is contextualized around solar energy’s work in the biosphere. Major ecological units and human modification of the biosphere are emphasized. One chapter is devoted to marine ecosystems.
8. Patterns of Life: Biogeography
9. Climate and Life: Biomes
10. Ocean Ecosystems
11. Soil and Water Resources
Part III Tectonic Systems: Building the Lithosphere
Part III explores uplift and building topographic relief via geothermal energy.
12. Earth History, Earth Interior
13. Drifting Continents: Plate Tectonics
14. Building the Crust with Rocks
15. Geohazards: Volcanoes and Earthquakes
Part IV Erosion and Deposition: Sculpting the Earth’s Surface
Part IV examines the work of solar energy, water, chemical reactions, and gravity in grading the Earth’s surface.
16. Weathering and Mass Movement
17. Flowing Water: Fluvial Systems
18. The Work of Ice: The Cryosphere and Glacial Landforms
19. Water, Wind, and Time: Desert Landforms
20. The Work of Waves: Coastal Landforms