FREE eBook access.
While your print book ships!
Study Guide for Evolution
Second EditionCarl Zimmer; Douglas J. Emlen©2016
This study guide is a tool to help students understand what they have learned reading Evolution: Making Sense of Life, Second Edition, by Carl Zimmer and Douglas Emlen. It’s designed to be engaging, using games and exercises and online resources to broaden students learning experiences. They can dive in as deeply as they choose, doing some exercises and skipping others, and they can test their comprehension when they’re done. Throughout, QR codes are used to take students to the websites listed in the text.
Table of Contents
1. The Whale and the Virus: How Scientists Study Evolution
2. From Natural Philosophy to Darwin: A Brief History of Evolutionary Ideas
3. What the Rocks Say: How Geology and Paleontology Reveal the History of Life
4. The Tree of Life: How Biologists Use Phylogeny to Reconstruct the Deep Past
5. Raw Material: Heritable Variation among Individuals
6. The Ways of Change: Drift and Selection
7. Beyond Alleles: Quantitative Genetics and the Evolution of Phenotypes
8. Natural Selection: Empirical Studies in the Wild
9. The History in Our Genes
10. Adaptation: From Genes to Traits
11. Sex: Causes and Consequences
12. After Conception: The Evolution of Life History and Parental Care
13. The Origin of Species
14. Macroevolution: The Long Run
15. Intimate Partnership: How Species Adapt to Each Other
16. Minds and Microbes: The Evolution of Behavior
17. Human Evolution: A New Kind of Ape
18. Evolutionary Medicine