Real Skills Essentials
First EditionMiriam Moore; Susan Anker©2018
Bookmark, search, and highlight our mobile-friendly reflowable e-books.
Read and study old-school with our bound texts.
This package includes LaunchPad and Paperback.
You will need to find your course in order to purchase LaunchPad.
Gain confidence as a reader, writer, and thinker as Real Skills Essentials builds your academic writing skills to lead to improved success in college and beyond with the support necessary to enable you to develop better sentences and paragraphs.
Table of Contents
Preface for Instructors
PART ONE: College Thinking, Reading, and Writing
1. Reading and Critical Thinking: Keys to Successful Writing
2. Getting ready to Write: Writing in College and Other Formal Settings
PART TWO: Writing Paragraphs and Essays
3. Writing Your Paragraph: How to Put ideas Together
4. Improving Your Paragraph: How to Make It the Best It Can Be
5. Developing Your Paragraph: Different Ways to Present Your Ideas
6. Moving from Paragraphs to Essays: How to Write Longer Papers
PART THREE: Grammar, Punctuation, and Mechanics
7. The Parts of Speech: A Brief Review
8. Complete Sentences: Key Parts to Know
9. Fragments: Sentences That Are Missing a Key Part
10. Run-Ons and Comma Splices: Two Sentences Joined Incorrectly
11. Subject-Verb Agreement Problems: Subjects and Verbs That Do Not Match
12. Verb-Tense Problems: The Past Tense and the Past Participle
13. Other Grammar Concerns: Problems with Pronouns and Modifiers
14. Style, Word Choice, and Spelling: Writing Effective Sentences
15. Punctuation and Capitalization
Useful Editing and Proofreading Marks