FREE eBook access.
While your print book ships!
Real Skills Essentials
First EditionMiriam Moore; Susan Anker©2018
Read and study old-school with our bound texts.
Author Miriam Moore believes in helping students learn to trust themselves as readers, writers, and thinkers. Writing Essentials Online: A Macmillan Launchpad provides a space where students can build both confidence and strong academic writing skills that will carry them forward in college and career.
A portable print text, Real Skills Essentials works together with Writing Essentials Online to deliver just the support necessary in order to develop sentences and paragraphs. It can be packaged with Writing Essentials Online at a significant discount.
Get the e-book, do assignments, take quizzes, prepare for exams and more, to help you achieve success in class.Learn More
Table of Contents
Preface for Instructors
PART ONE: College Thinking, Reading, and Writing
1. Reading and Critical Thinking: Keys to Successful Writing
2. Getting ready to Write: Writing in College and Other Formal Settings
PART TWO: Writing Paragraphs and Essays
3. Writing Your Paragraph: How to Put ideas Together
4. Improving Your Paragraph: How to Make It the Best It Can Be
5. Developing Your Paragraph: Different Ways to Present Your Ideas
6. Moving from Paragraphs to Essays: How to Write Longer Papers
PART THREE: Grammar, Punctuation, and Mechanics
7. The Parts of Speech: A Brief Review
8. Complete Sentences: Key Parts to Know
9. Fragments: Sentences That Are Missing a Key Part
10. Run-Ons and Comma Splices: Two Sentences Joined Incorrectly
11. Subject-Verb Agreement Problems: Subjects and Verbs That Do Not Match
12. Verb-Tense Problems: The Past Tense and the Past Participle
13. Other Grammar Concerns: Problems with Pronouns and Modifiers
14. Style, Word Choice, and Spelling: Writing Effective Sentences
15. Punctuation and Capitalization
Useful Editing and Proofreading Marks