FREE eBook access.
While your print book ships!
Modern Principles: Microeconomics
Fourth EditionTyler Cowen; Alex Tabarrok©2018
Bookmark, search, and highlight our PDF-style eBooks.
Spend less and get the eBook, quizzes, and more.
Save money with our loose, 3-hole punched pages.
Read and study old-school with our bound texts.
This package includes Loose-Leaf and Sapling Learning Plus.
This package includes FlipIt and Loose-Leaf.
This package includes LaunchPad and Loose-Leaf.
This package includes FlipIt and Paperback.
This package includes Paperback and Sapling Learning Plus.
This package includes LaunchPad and Paperback.
Writing about economics at Marginal Revolution taught us to use vivid examples and to get to the point quickly. We brought these skills to our textbook, Modern Principles of Economics.
From the first sentence, The prisoners were dying of scurvy, typhoid fever, and smallpox, but
nothing was killing them more than bad incentives. to the last, no other textbook teaches the economic way of thinking so well or so memorably.
Modern Principles means modern content and modern delivery. We cover material that many other textbooks ignore, such as how managers should choose between piece rates and tournaments and how firms can increase their profits using clever forms of price discrimination such as bundling and tying. In macroeconomics, we have created a simple yet powerful AD-AS model that combines insights from New Keynesian and Real Business Cycle models.
We have also created the Super Simple Solow model which for the first time makes the Solow model of economic growth accessible to principles of economics students.
Read online (or offline) with all the highlighting and notetaking tools you need to be successful in this course.Learn More
Get the eBook, do assignments, take quizzes, prepare for exams and more, to help you achieve success in class.Learn More
Sapling Learning Plus
Get the ebook, do your homework onine, try some quizzes, and more!Learn More
Prepare for in-class discussions with short, pre-lecture videos and quizzes to check your understanding.Learn More
Table of Contents
1. The Big Ideas
2. The Power of Trade and Comparative Advantage
Part 1: Supply and Demand
3. Supply and Demand
4. Equilibrium: How Supply and Demand Determine Prices
5. Elasticity and Its Applications
Appendix: Other Types of Elasticities
6. Taxes and Subsidies
Part 2: The Price System
7. The Price System: Signals, Speculation, and Prediction
8. Price Ceilings and Floors
9. International Trade
10. Externalities: When the Price Is Not Right
Part 3: Firms and Factor Markets
11. Costs and Profit Maximization Under Competition
Appendix: Using Excel to Graph Cost Curves
12. Competition and the Invisible Hand
14. Price Discrimination and Pricing Strategy
Appendix: Solving PRice Discrimination Problems with Excel (Advanced Section)
15. Oligopoly and Game Theory
Appendix: Nash Equilibrium
16. Competing for Monopoly: The Economics of Network Goods
17. Monopolistic Competition and Advertising
18. Labor Markets
Part 4: Government
19. Public Goods and the Tragedy of the Commons
Appendix: The Tragedy of the Commons: How Fast?
20. Political Economy and Public Choice
21. Economics, Ethics, and Public Policy
Part 5: Decision Making for Businesses, Investors, and Consumers
22. Managing Incentives
23. Stock Markets and Personal Finance
24. Asymmetric Information: Moral Hazard and Adverse Selection
25. Consumer Choice
Appendix A: Reading Graphs and Making Graphs
Appendix B: Solutions to Check Yourself Questions.