FREE eBook access.
While your print book ships!
Julien's Primer of Drug Action
Fourteenth EditionClaire D. Advokat; Joseph E. Comaty; Robert M. Julien©2019
Read and study old-school with our bound texts.
Julien’s Primer of Drug Action continues to evolve side by side with the field it covers providing a thoroughly up to date look at psychotherapeutic and recreational drugs, including the latest research and the newest formulations.
The thoroughly updated 14th edition features:
- New coverage of opioids of abuse, and drugs used to treat of opioid dependence and opioid overdose.
- New research on the use of marijuana to treat Alzheimers, PTSD, and Epilepsy.
- New coverage of pharmacological, physiological, and psychoactive effects of synthetic marijuana including its toxicity.
- New research on Cannabidiol (CBD) and its therapeutic uses
- New research of the efficacy of antipsychotics to treat dementia, Parkinson’s, bipolar, OCD, PTSD,
- New research on hallucinogenics for the treatment of various disorders including MDMA for the treatment of PTSD, Psilocybin for treatment of depression and end-of-life anxiety, and Ayahuasca to treat psychiatric disorders
- The use of genetic testing to predict effectiveness of antidepressant treatment
- New research on the use of ketamine for the treatment of depression
Table of Contents
Part 1 Introduction to Psychopharmacology: Biological Basis of Drug Action
Chapter 1 Pharmacokinetics: How Drugs Are Handled by the Body
Chapter 2 The Neuron, Synaptic Transmission, and Neurotransmitters
Chapter 3 Pharmacodynamics: How Drugs Act
Part 2 Pharmacology of Drugs of Abuse 93
Chapter 4 Epidemiology and Neurobiology of Addiction
Chapter 5 Ethyl Alcohol and the Inhalants of Abuse
Chapter 7 Cocaine, the Amphetamines, and Other Psychostimulants
Chapter 8 Psychedelic Drugs
Chapter 9 Cannabis: A New Look at An Ancient Plant
Chapter 10 Opioid Analgesics
Part 3 Psychotherapeutic Drugs
Chapter 11 Antipsychotic Drugs
Chapter 12 Antidepressant Drugs
Chapter 13 Anxiolytics, Sedative Hypnotics, Anesthetics, and Anticonvulsants
Chapter 14 Drugs Used to Treat Bipolar Disorder
Part 4 Special Populations and Integration
Chapter 15 Child and Adolescent Psychopharmacology
Chapter 16 Geriatric Psychopharmacology
Chapter 17 Challenging Times for Mental Health
Appendix A: Quick Reference to Psychotropic Medications
Appendix B: Introduction to Epigenetics