Read online (or offline) with all the highlighting and notetaking tools you need to be successful in this course.Learn More
Table of Contents
Part 1 Geospatial Data and GPS
1. It’s a Geospatial World Out There
- What Is Geospatial Technology?
- Who Uses Geospatial Technology?
- What Is Geospatial Data?
- What Does All This Have to Do with Geography?
- What Is Geolocation?
- What Is Google Earth?
- GEOSPATIAL LAB APPLICATION 1.1: Introduction to Geospatial Concepts and Google Earth Pro
2. Where in the Geospatial World Are You?
- What Is a Datum?
- What Is a Geographic Coordinate System?
- How Can Real-World Data Be Translated onto a Two-Dimensional Surface?
- What Is UTM?
- What Is SPCS?
- GEOSPATIAL LAB APPLICATION 2.1: Coordinates and Position Measurements
3. Getting Your Data to Match the Map
- How Can You Align Different Geospatial Datasets to Work Together?
- What Is Georeferencing?
- How Can Data Be Georeferenced?
- How Is Data Transformed to a Georeferenced Format?
- GEOSPATIAL LAB APPLICATION 3.1: Georeferencing an Image
4. Finding Your Location with the Global Positioning System
- Who Made GPS?
- What Does the Global Positioning System Consist Of?
- How Does GPS Find Your Position?
- Why Isn’t GPS Perfectly Accurate?
- How Can You Get Better Accuracy from GPS?
- What Other GNSS Are There Beyond GPS?
- What Are Some Applications of GPS?
- GEOSPATIAL LAB APPLICATION 4.1: GNSS Applications
Part 2 Geographic Information Systems
5. Working with Digital Geospatial Data and GIS
- How Does GIS Represent Real-World Items?
- How Can You Represent the Real World as Continuous Fields?
- How Is Non-Spatial Data Handled by GIS?
- What Other Kind of Information Do You Need to Use GIS Data?
- What Kinds of GIS Are Available?
- GEOSPATIAL LAB APPLICATION 5.1 GIS Introduction: QGIS Version
- GEOSPATIAL LAB APPLICATION 5.2 GIS Introduction: ArcGIS Pro Version
6. Using GIS for Spatial Analysis
- How Can Data Be Retrieved from a GIS for Analysis?
- How Can You Perform Basic Spatial Analysis in GIS?
- How Can Multiple Types of Spatial Analysis Operations Be Performed in GIS?
- GEOSPATIAL LAB APPLICATION 6.1: GIS Spatial Analysis: QGIS Version
- GEOSPATIAL LAB APPLICATION 6.2: GIS Spatial Analysis: ArcGIS Pro Version
7. Using GIS to Make a Map
- How Does the Scale of the Data Affect the Map (and Vice Versa)?
- What Are Some Design Elements Included in Maps?
- How Is Data Displayed on a GIS Map?
- What Kinds of Colors Are Best to Use with GIS Maps?
- How Can GIS Maps Be Exported and Distributed?
- GEOSPATIAL LAB APPLICATION 7.1 – GIS Layouts: QGIS Version
- GEOSPATIAL LAB APPLICATION 7.2 – GIS Layouts: ArcGIS Pro Version
8. Getting There Quicker with Geospatial Technology
- How Do You Model a Network for Geospatial Technology?
- How Is Address Matching Performed?
- How Are Shortest Paths Found?
- How Are Networks Used in Geospatial Technology?
- GEOSPATIAL LAB APPLICATION 8.1 – Geocoding and Shortest Path Analysis
Part 3 Remote Sensing
9. Remotely Sensed Images from Above
- How Did Aircraft Photography Develop?
- What Are Unmanned Aircraft Systems?
- What Are the Different Types of Aerial Photos?
- How Can You Interpret Objects in an Aerial Image?
- How Can You Make Measurements from an Aerial Photo?
- GEOSPATIAL LAB APPLICATION 9.1 – Visual Imagery Interpretation
10. How Remote Sensing Works
- What Is Remote Sensing Actually Sensing?
- What Is the Role of the Atmosphere in Remote Sensing?
- What Happens to Energy When It Hits a Target on the Ground?
- How Can Spectral Reflectance Be Used in Remote Sensing?
- How Do You Display a Digital Remotely Sensed Image?
- GEOSPATIAL LAB APPLICATION 10.1 – Remotely sensed Imagery and Color Composites
11. Images from Space
- How Do Remote Sensing Satellites Collect Data?
- What Are the Capabilities of a Satellite Sensor?
- What Is a Landsat Satellite, and What Does It Do?
- What Satellites Have High-Resolution Sensors?
- How Can Satellites Be Used for Monitoring the Earth?
- GEOSPATIAL LAB APPLICATION 11.1 – Landsat 8 Imagery
12. Studying Earth’s Climate and Environment from Space
- What Satellites and Sensors Are Used for Studying Climate and the Environment?
- How Is Environmental Monitoring Performed Using Remote Sensing?
- How Do Satellites Take Earth’s Temperature?
- How Do Satellites Monitor Earth’s Atmosphere and Air Quality?
- How Do Satellites Monitor the Oceans and Water Quality?
- GEOSPATIAL LAB APPLICATION 12.1 – Earth-Observing Missions Imagery
Part 4 Geospatial Applications
13. Digital Landscaping
14. See the World in 3D
- How Can Terrain Be Represented on Topographic Maps?
- How Can Geospatial Technology Represent a Digital Terrain Map?
- What Is a DEM?
- How Can Digital Terrain Models Be Utilized?
- GEOSPATIAL LAB APPLICATION 13.1 – Digital Terrain Analysis
- How Can Objects Be Modeled in 3D Using Geospatial Technology?
- How Can Large Scale 3D Design Be Performed?
- How Can You View Geospatial Data in Immersive 3D?
- GEOSPATIAL LAB APPLICATION 14.1 – 3D Modeling and Visualization
15. Life in the Geospatial Cloud and Other Current Developments
- What Is ArcGIS Online
- Who Is Involved with Geospatial Technology?
- How Is Geospatial Technology Used in K–12 Educational Efforts?
- What Types of Educational Opportunities Are Available with Geospatial Technology?
- GEOSPATIAL LAB APPLICATION 15.1 – Creating Web Maps and Web Apps With ArcGIS Online