FREE eBook access.
While your print book ships!
Eckert Animal Physiology
Fifth EditionDavid Randall, City University of Hong Kong; Warren Burggren, University of North Texas; Kathleen French, University of California, San Diego©2002
Read and study old-school with our bound texts.
This classic animal physiology text focuses on comparative examples that illustrate the general principles of physiology at all levels of organization—from molecular mechanisms to regulated physiological systems to whole organisms in their environment.
Table of Contents
1. Studying Animal Physiology
2. Experimental Methods for Exploring Physiology
3. Molecules, Energy, and Biosynthesis
4. Membranes, Channels, and Transport
PART II PHYSIOLOGICAL PROCESSES
5. The Functional Basis of Neuronal Function
6. Communication Along and Between Neurons
7. Sensing the Environment
8. Structural and Functional Organization of Nervous Systems
9. Glands and Endocrine Control: Mechanisms and Cost of Secretion
10. Muscles and Animal Movement
11. Behavior: Initiation, Patterns and Control
PART III INTEGRATION OF PHYSIOLOGICAL SYSTEMS
13. Gas Exchange and Acid-Base Balance
14. Ionic and Osmotic Regulation
15. Acquiring Energy: Feeding, Digestion, and Metabolism
16. Energy Expenditure: Body Size, Locomotion and Reproduction
17. Energetic Costs of Meeting Environmental Challenge