Discovering the Scientist Within
Second EditionGary W. Lewandowski, Jr.; Natalie J. Ciarocco; David B. Strohmetz©2019
Bookmark, search, and highlight our PDF-style e-books.
Save money with our loose, 3-hole punched pages.
Read and study old-school with our bound texts.
In this innovative text, authors Gary Lewandowski, Natalie Ciarocco, and David Strohmetz draw on their extensive classroom experiences to introduce research methodology using fascinating scientific studies. Each design chapter follows a single study from ideation to writing for publication, so you can see how the research process works from start to finish. You also get to practice your skills as a scientist with the integrated Research in Action activities in LaunchPad. Special appendices on Statistical Tools for Answering Research Questions and Communicating the Science of Psychology act as helpful references for class projects and future research.
Read online (or offline) with all the highlighting and notetaking tools you need to be successful in this course.Learn More
Table of Contents
- Psychology as a Science: Thinking Like a Researcher
- The Research Process: Ideas to Innovations
- Ethics: Making Ethical Decisions
- The Psychologist’s Toolbox: Tools for Building Better Designs
- Qualitative Research: Getting Into the Mind of a Serial Killer
- Observational Research: The Many Forms of Discipline in Parents’ Bag of Tricks
- Survey Design and Scale Construction: Is Going Greek a Great Idea?
- Two-Group Design: Texting: I Can’t Get You Out of My Mind
- Multigroup Design: I’m Feeling Hot, but Is the Earth Hot, Too?
- Within-Subjects Design: Can Watching Reality TV Shows Be Good for Us?
- Factorial Design: “I Lost My Phone Number, Can I Borrow Yours?” Do Pick-Up Lines Really Work?
- Mixed Design: Which Therapy is Best for Treating Eating Disorders?
- Using Research in the Real World: How Do You Know If You Are Truly Helping?
Appendix A: Statistical Tools for Answering Research Questions
Appendix B: Communicating the Science of Psychology